“You need to do content upgrades!”
“Build your email list!”
You hear this advice all the time but it’s rarely actionable.
Questions To Answer About Your Content Upgrades
Even when you know it’s an effective strategy for growing your email list, you’re usually still left with more questions:
- What content should you create?
- How do you convert people?
- What email service should I use?
- What do I do with them after they sign up?
- How do I actually turn them into customers?
These are all very valid yet also very surmountable problems.
But I’m going to assume that you have the first four taken care of. If you don’t:
- Answer the questions people have asked you or teach them how to do what you do (which is the highest ROI you’ll ever have on content marketing);
- Merchandise signups across your site, and put your highest impact piece of content on your homepage above the fold;
- We recommend Drip, but there are many you can use. Just make sure it has automation and tagging so that you’re not paying double for subscribers who sign up for more than one piece of content;
- Keep them engaged with follow-on emails, case studies, and content they’ll enjoy;
- Let’s go over that now!
One of the highest leverage things I’ve done on Credo in the last month was all implemented in one email. Seriously
Here’s my Credo podcast episode about it (subscribe on iTunes!):
Here’s the strategy:
- Create a content upgrade that people can sign up for. This content upgrade should hit your target market exactly and be near the bottom of your conversion funnel;
- Send them the content (and drop them onto a conversion page where they can click to download. This also lets you track conversions in Google Analytics);
- 12-18 hours after they convert, send them a plain text personal (yet automated) email asking them if they are looking right now for what you offer.
It’s that simple. Here’s how it is set up within Drip for me:
And here’s the exact text I automatically send:
Hey, are you looking to hire an outside provider to help you with your digital marketing?
That one question and one email have generated multiple thousands of dollars in revenue in the last month.
Enjoy the podcast episode, and leave your questions in the comments!